Diary of a Locked Down Kid

The ongoing pandemic has been a little more than just pain in the ass. Countless deaths, and huge economic costs aside, the ensuing lock down has made us be with ourselves. And I must be the first to admit, it hasn't been a pretty picture. 

At the outset, unlike what the meditation gurus suggest, I don't think I have as many thoughts as I earlier estimated. As any serious student will know, this has led to filling the gaps with passive voicing what I earlier thought in active voice. Unfortunately for me, that's all the grammar I know to keep beating around the bush.

However, the little introspection that I could do, has resulted in several observations - about myself and the world. 

Throughout my life, I have ridiculed Batman for having irrational fear of bats. I admit I was wrong. The Dark Knight was a visionary. Hence, I am also hopeful that the world wouldn't descend into the chaotic madness envisaged by the Joker. The land of the free could prove me wrong though.


But like the prices of oil futures, negativity has begun to cloud my judgement as well. I used to wake up every day hoping that some Hollywood star would save the US and the world could silently tag along. That hope went down the drain when led by Gal Gadot, Hollywood's response was a rendition of Lennon's Imagine. All the muscles of Dwayne Johnson and charisma of Brad Pitt need saving by underpaid medical workers across the world at the end. 

The self improvement task list that I prepared has seen more revisions of deadlines than the cleaning of Ganga. Sacrificing the dream of reading 100s of books and a chiseled body, the new goal is to ensure my body remains within the reach of my own hands. It seems to me that masterly inactivity can only help the ecosystem, not us humans. 

During this time, the People's Republic of China which unsurprisingly is neither people's nor a republic has been another influential factor. The Communist Party of China has redefined death for me. I always believed that being dead depended on, well, if you were dead. Now I know you are dead only when the global community doubts your being alive. Moreover, the guts with which faulty medical equipment have been exported along side a deadly virus rivals only the bravado of someone eating idli with tomato ketchup at Saravana Bhavan. 

With COVID - 19 wreaking havoc in the west, I have been led to believe that instead of burning dollars and euros in futile expensive space programs, these countries could do better by investing in their health infrastructure. That this is a zero sum game is an assumption I have taken liberty to draw from numerous white columnists. 

Back in India, lynching and throwing stones have continued to blossom even as supply chains have remain disrupted. I agree this defies all logic, but then we also have ill people running away from hospitals and Salman Khan urging people to act responsibly. The times have been strange of late!

As I conclude my rambling, taking a leaf from the book of WHO, I should make it clear that any feedback from my Taiwanese readers will be taken as seriously as the world takes Donald Trump. Beware!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Things Done: A Beginner's Guide

Comfortably Numb

The Power of Unmanifesting