Confessions of an Awkward Guy

I am still coming to terms with my inadequacies. Before coming to LBSNAA, I thought it wouldn't matter, but your inadequacies and awkwardness come under immense scrutiny here.

I always knew I was terrible at sports. As a child, I primarily had access to playing cricket, and when it comes to cricket, I have the running skills of Inzamam ul Haq, the bowling skills of Sir Don Bradman, and the batting skills of Glenn McGrath. I now aspire to be the fat uncle who growls at kids playing cricket in the society complex. Just to put this into perspective, I am barely passable at a sport that doesn't even grant me access to the "high circles" which a sport like Tennis, F1, or Golf does. 

Dancing doesn't come naturally to me. I am very stiff, quite unlike the justice system across the world, which bends like Beckham for the right people. Like the courts and the police, there is a lack of coordination between my brain and limbs. The resulting motion is what scholars term as Brownian motion. 

In the world of academia, I am as good as Salman Khan at driving. I am an Electrical Engineer unable to repair fans. I had Sociology as my optional for civil services, but society is what I am most scared of. My knowledge of economics rivals my knowledge of geopolitics, and together, they only allow me to make sense of the Times of India's Page 3. 

I am not good with people either. I have no idea how to turn small talk into something meaningful. I am not sure how keeping in touch works! In the world of classics, I feel like a Badshah - suitable for the moment, but not replay worthy. Unlike Badshah though, I have no grooming etiquette. I am not just a mess inside, but outside too. My facial hair looks like data points scattered on a graph without removing the noise. And that isn't even the worst part of me!

The awkwardness and inadequacies are here to stay though. I may get better at some things, may not at others. The only hope is that it happens with my willing efforts and not out of peer pressure. Until then, I'm content being a work under progress.

Comments

  1. hahaahah 😂 too good.. facial hair 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it okay to not to be okay? Is it okay if i am not good at anything but trying my best to do good in that??


    What are those qualities that an Upsc aspirant should possess to get success??
    In your opinion what is real success???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know how to answer this.

      "Is it okay not being okay?"
      In my limited understanding, it depends upon your definition of being okay. If it is about doing what is expected of you, it is okay not being okay. But if you aren't at peace with it, there is no point.

      It is definitely okay if you are trying to be good at something when you aren't. No one is perfect at anything. Even Messi trains his ass off to get better.

      As far as the exam is concerned, some qualities needed to succeed are patience, and smart work. The exam doesn't require off the roof iq, but it does require one to break it down in manageable components and working on those diligently.

      Coming to the last part, for me real success is being able to sleep peacefully. Do whatever brings you contentment and happiness. It could be living life king size like a Bilzerian or Gayle, or working for others like a Kailash satyarthi, or it could mean working to see the happy faces of your family like millions of us. Find your own definition of success.

      Delete
  3. Ummm I don't know that commenting would be gud or not !!! But what I felt reading this was just one thing extroversion and life goes hand in hand ...an introvert is suppressed by the society but it is always gud to be the real you !!! Somebody may see the mess in you . But a person with gud heart will always find the treasure hidden in you !! It's all matter of personality and perpectives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work under construction is always a path to success ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Things Done: A Beginner's Guide

Comfortably Numb

The Power of Unmanifesting