My Tryst with the Training at LBSNAA

Austerity, Anonymity, Ability, Empathy, Humility, Leadership, and Accountability are just some of the keywords that have been drilled into us during our short training period.

Sometimes, it gets a little overwhelming. Only a few months ago, there was uncertainty in my life. I wasn’t entirely sure where I would be, what I would be doing! And today, I am supposed to be the embodiment of virtues of the highest order, carrying a legacy built slowly over the past decades by the doyens of the service. Will I be able to bear the burden of the immense responsibility entrusted to me?

The answer to this question doesn’t come easy to me. But the various facets of the training over here at LBSNAA have something to offer for every doubtful soul. For me, it was the Field Study and Research program that took me to the Goshani village of Champawat district in Uttarakhand. I have lived in villages, but this was the first time I was in one as an Officer Trainee or, as I would like to call it, People’s Servant in the making.

The quiet village defied the stereotypical image one usually has in mind. It had schools dating back to the British Era, many functional SHGs, and a population quite aware of its rights. It didn’t seem usual for an Indian village, but something had to explain. And then I met Shri Madhusudan Oli.

A resident of Goshani, he was a school teacher in the public school of the neighbouring village. And from what we had gathered, an exceptional one. However, this wasn’t all. When Covid-19 struck, schools were shut, and all teaching was online. He had a responsibility to his students, and he did reasonably well in taking classes online. What stood out was that he went to houses of students in his native village Goshani to ensure there were no learning gaps. His commitment to the cause of education was inspiring to my friends and me in the group. Goshani was bound to be a relatively prosperous village with such dedicated residents.

Shri Madhusudan gives me confidence. The burden of responsibility and service is actually an opportunity for me to walk along with the likes of Madhusudan Ji, the likes of people who walk the extra mile to serve others. Learning from people from all walks of life, all I need to do is to do my duty diligently.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. And with the training here at LBSNAA, I have taken the first step. Over time, I shall find my own path – wedded with the virtues of Austerity, Anonymity, and Ability. I owe it to the Madhusudans of our country; I owe it to myself.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Things Done: A Beginner's Guide

Comfortably Numb

The Power of Unmanifesting