Snacks for Thought

Few things in life satisfy the soul like food or playing super mario. I believed success would have the same effect, but successful people tell me they also feel empty. However, while they crib, their eyes lighten up with the intensity of Rohit Sharma's on spotting a short ball. Though not as good as super mario, cribbing is perhaps one of those few things.

And the ambitious person I am, here is another attempt at chasing success!

The district administration is a widely complex web of rules, judgments, and an overwhelmingly huge number of precedents. There are endless departments, some of which one learns about through newspapers. Having said so, few are important at any given time. This depends on the priorities of the government. As a young trainee, it was challenging to identify such departments. After pondering it for many nights, I finally came up with the 'Snacks Index' to measure the importance of any particular department.

The snacks served at an essential department are slightly on the side of expensive. These departments serve dry fruits, at worse, fruits. They will have coconut water or green tea ready. On the contrary, the so-called neglected departments will make do with cookies or such alternatives, which would be deemed unhealthy. I look forward to my dates with raisins in priority departments. 

Fig: Totally real validation from The Economist

I have been fortunate to be given a chance to resolve people's complaints at Spandana, the government's citizen grievance redressal program. Most petitions are earnest, and some demands are routine, but few remind me of the days I used to pester my teacher for more marks just because I could. This ability to critically judge my past actions has led to immense personal growth.

I have gotten better at Telugu. I can understand a lot of what non-native speakers say. I can make some sense when native district officials explain things to me. But there are times when after critically weighing the opportunity cost of paying constant attention to the speaker, I decide to put my brain to sleep, nod at the speaker with the confidence of Salman Khan singing in front of a live audience and remind myself there's more to life.

Talking of life, I got married, and my wife lives with me now. This has been a pleasant change from the loneliness shared by me, the caretaker of the guest house, and the lizard in the corridor. Yet, there are some challenges. Earlier, both of us used to be lonely in different cities. Now we feel lonely together in the same town. 

I also had to watch some romcoms with their totally anticipated but unnecessarily inserted happy endings. Anyway, Gandhiji probably said, 'Every cloud has a silver lining.' Mine has several.

I have begun feeling at home. This sense of feeling assured, allowed me to empty my luggage, and the photos, meant to serve as a reminder of good times, have finally seen the sunshine. We celebrate festivals and work. I have been able to read books, meet some great people and learn in the process.

One can only hope this topsy-turvy ride continues like super mario, unabashed with all its highs and lows, and I'll get by with a pack of raisins in my box.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Things Done: A Beginner's Guide

Comfortably Numb

The Power of Unmanifesting